Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Monday, January 16, 2012

Ironic

In an effort to clean out some of the clutter that I've accumulated over the last 6 years with going to school, taking the bar, etc. I've been going through a very large stack of old magazines that I never had an opportunity to read.

Last night as I was going through some of them I found the following Article written by George Hodak in the April, 2011 ABA Journal:


April 4, 1968:  Martin Luther King Assassinated

On March 28, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. arrived in Memphis to lead a march in support of 1,300 striking sanitation workers.  But the protest was quickly aborted after several youths broke ranks and smashed storefront windows along Beale Street.  By nightfall, 4,000 National Guardsmen had been called in to enforce a curfew.

The day's events left King embarrassed and dispirited, but he resolved to return and lead a peaceful march, determined to prove that his nonviolent strategy remained viable.  King flew from Atlanta to Memphis on April 3, his flight delayed by a bomb threat.

He was served a temporary restraining order that afternoon; that evening he addressed a rally at Mason Temple.  He spoke with anguished eloquence about the rights being denied the striking workers and, on a wider level, of the need to "develop a kind of dangerous unselfishness."  He also spoke of his own death:  "Like anybody, I would like to lead a long life--longevity has its place.  But I'm not concerned about that now."  At 6 p.m. the following evening, King was felled by a sniper's bullet as he stood on the second-floor balcony of the Lorraine Motel.  He was 39 years old.

Today we take time out of our lives to celebrate the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. and to reflect on Dr. King's movement and his dream, which we still struggle to achieve in 2012.  

I just found it ironic that the night before I would come across this particular magazine with this particular article out of all of the magazines I have in my pile...

No comments:

Post a Comment