Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Part vs. Whole

It appears that I need to purchase a new furnace.  Actually I have a choice to make.  There is a part that has cracks in it allowing gas to seep in to our home.  That piece is still under warranty but for only one more year.  (My home is 9 years old.)  I can have this piece replaced for labor only, which is estimated at $1,200.  Or I can opt for a new furnace for approximately $3,000.

There are pros and cons to both.  If I opt to replace the piece it could be a cheaper option that could last for years.  However, I could replace the piece and it could crack again in a year and I'm having to replace it again or something else breaks and I'm having to spend $3,000 for a new furnace now.

If I opt to put in a whole new furnace it is really expensive, but it will likely come with a warranty for several years and I will not have to worry about it for some time (or so I hope).  Plus depending on which one I purchase I could be eligible for tax credits at the end of the year.  But it is approximately $3,000.

Ugh....when it rains it pours...any thoughts are appreciated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment