Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Selfishness Gets You Every Time, Damn It!

When I overheard a conversation at work this morning between a support person and a coordinator I instantly thought of myself! Yes, this was the selfishness in me that made their conversation all about me. I saw how their topic of discussion would benefit me and how I could check 3 things off of my newly forming, extensively heavy "to-do" list even at 15 feet away and inside of an office. So a few hours later I approached the coordinator and brought up the subject of her earlier conversation. After the conversation I had I became sorry I had overheard the conversation and realized selfishness does have a price...

j'lynn: Did I hear a rumor that you are going to the post office?
PC: Yup. Do you need something?
j'lynn: A book of stamps would be great!
PC: They don't sell stamps in a book anymore.
j'lynn: Yes, they do.
PC: No I don't think they do.
j'lynn: Yes, they have always sold books.
PC: I think they stopped. I only buy rolls.
j'lynn: I only buy rolls too, but they didn't stop selling books.
PC: How many stamps used to come in a book?
j'lynn: Books have 20 stamps in them.
PC: So you want 20 stamps.
j'lynn: Well, if they have rolls, I'll take a roll of stamps. But since I suspect that they will not have rolls yet with the recent change of the prices I'll take a book of stamps.
PC: And if they don't have books?
j'lynn: I'll take 20 stamps.

Main points behind this conversation:
1. Selfishness gets you every time.
2. Overhearing conversations aren't really about you.
3. Just because you do not purchase something doesn't mean they no longer make it.

2 comments: