Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Monday, May 25, 2009

That's a Lot of Brats

I survived the Memorial Day Cookout even though by the time we left for the parade at 1pm I was unsure if I would survive or not. In case you didn't know, I am a bit of a control freak and when I say something I expect people to listen and to follow directions. Is that so hard? So when I discovered that not just one, but three people had not listened to me I was very upset. The deal was (and always has been whenever I have a family function) that if I want/need you to bring anything I will tell you what to bring. If I don't ask, that means I have a specific menu planned and I have everything and everyone covered. So when I learned that 3 people were bringing additional food, I was upset. I was actually mad.

I was serving:
Meat:
Ribs
Beef Kabobs
Chicken Kabobs
Shrimp Kabobs
Brats
Hot Dogs (for the kids)
Salads:
Macaroni Salad
Spaghetti Salad
Chips & Dip
Veggies & Dip
A dessert

Much to my dismay when I discovered that my mom was bringing Brats when all I asked her to bring were sliced onions and green peppers to cook my ribs with. Then I learn that my brother was bringing an ice cream cake and more brats. WTH? We were going to have a ton of brats. Ugh... Then my aunt dropped the bomb that she was bringing potato salad. Now I was pissed. If I wanted them to bring all of this, I would have told them. By the time I was on my way to the parade I was vowing that this would be my last family gathering!!

It all worked out...I sent everyone home with their brats because we didn't use them. I didn't blow up with my brother and his family here (more on that later!) and I have to give props to his wife (I assume) because her dessert was to die for...maybe she will make it in this family yet!

Of course my aunt & uncle never made it...she apparently had a need to stay at the local club after the parade and drink, so there was no potato salad (and honestly, it was never missed) and they missed yet another family gathering...their loss, not ours. :(

I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment