Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Kicked Voir Dire Ass Today

This was the assignment this week in Trial Practice. I have fretted over this assignment for 7 days since it was assigned last Thursday. Preparing questions for potential jurors for our "case." The biggest stressor was the fact that there are 13 students in my class, myself included. Seven of us were prosecutors and six were defense counsel. We were originally broke into two groups. One of 3 and 3 and one consisting of 4 prosecutors and 3 defense counsel. Each person had to perform voir dire for five minutes and you couldn't repeat what anyone else asked in your group, so in my group the pressure was that you basically had to have up to 20 minutes of voir dire ready because what if you went last (#4) and the other three asked some of the same questions you had drafted.

I stayed up until 3am working on my voir dire last night. I still didn't have the good questions and felt like I was totally blocked. It was like I couldn't move forward with my questions. I had about five pages drafted and none of them were really powerful questions. I knew Prof. Arrogant was not going to be happy with what I had drafted. So about 11am at work I started working on it again today. Still feeling frozen, finally at 1:40pm I packed up my stuff and rushed out the door.

Class started at 2pm, I had to go to the bathroom, drive to school and get to the 3rd floor. Of course by the time I arrived at my car it was only to realize that it was blocked in. I finally got the attendant's attention (when I went to his little box and knocked on the window) and he moved the car. I texted my LSBFF and requested Prof. Arrogant's number and called and to tell him I might be a few minutes late because my car was blocked in. As the phone rang I contemplated telling him I wouldn't be there at all and that I was going to drop the class. (I guess I was even more freaked than I thought!) I actually arrived at 1:58pm!

When I sat down I still didn't have my shit together! I still didn't know what I was going to do...what I was going to ask in my five minutes and what happened if I was last of our group of four!?! I was mortified when I was told I would be the 3rd person to perform, i.e. the second prosecutor. OMG...I scribbled some notes down on page 1 of 5, got up and did my thing. I waited until after class to talk with the professor. I explained the freakout that I had been living on for 7 days because of this assignment and he said I did a great job and that I earned more points today than anyone else in the class! WTF?

I was amazed and living on cloud 9. Then I ran into one of the girls from class who paid me a huge compliment. She told me I did a great job and that I speak very well. WHAT?! She said something else but I can't remember word for word what she said, but I remember that it was fantastic! (This is probably due to the fact that I haven't been to bed before 2am any night this week!) Yay me!!!

With this wonderful experience I must declare I feel like I finally got my shit together this week! ;) Too bad I didn't get all of my reading done for this same class so I could say "Consider it all done." Oh well...maybe next week! :D

Consider it done: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Just getting started: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment