Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Too early...

Okay, day #2 for making it to work on time; however, I may have discovered why I never make it in on time! People are crazier at 7:55am than any other time during the day...

(If I could draw a map to go with this story it would be easier, but I will have to do the best I can with what I've got!) There is a bank of two elevators to get from the street level of my building to the lobby. Upon exitting those elevators if you go immediately to your right you are on your way to the lobby, if you go straight ahead you go to an overly priced deli that always has stale bagels and if you go on an angle to the right you go down a handicap ramp to make your way to our city's version of a subway system. So this morning being as early as I am I go to the over priced deli to get a mini-OJ and a mini-Apple Juice upon leaving the deli I witness a man come out of the elevators and angle his way to the right, walk down the ramp, past the entrances to our subway system, up the four steps at the end of the walk way, circle around to his right to come back to the lobby entrance, which was on his immediate right when he got off the elevator. He then proceeded to go to another bank of elevators to go up to work! Anyone familiar with our building would know that it isn't like you make an error and miss the walk way to your immediate right when you are coming off the first bank of elevators... If one is doing such a thing because they were going to enter our subway system or to hit the ATM at the top of those 4 steps or swing in to the mailroom, one thinks they would hesitate at one of these locations, but this gentlemen did not. I found this behaviour odd....

But things would get worse before they got better... Upon my entrance in to my 2nd bank of elevators to get to my office on the ever-superstitious 13th floor (yes, that would be my fate to work on the 13th floor in a tall building downtown) I pressed the button and stepped back and to the right in the elevator to allow others to get on. You know...the custom of how it should work on an elevator. A woman gets on behind me and tries to access a floor with the use of her building pass, but the light never turns green to allow her access to that floor. The elevator doors close as she continues to wave her pass in front of the electronic eye faster and more deliberate. I could tell she was a bit paniced because the elevator's security system wasn't giving her the little "beep" to let her know it would allow her to press her floor's button. At this point the elevator hasn't moved yet, so she hits the button to open the doors and proceeds to say (to me? to herself? to the elevator?), "Well, that one isn't going very far." She steps off the elevator, presses the up button for another elevator from the bank of 5 available choices and stands there. My elevator now closes the doors and takes me to the 13th floor. I'm thinking the issue wasn't the elevator, but more likely her pass, but maybe the elevator wasn't happy with the way she was waving her pass so frantically at it! I'm not here to judge, but I was happy to get to my "cursed" floor with the normal crazies I work with versus the random crazies infiltrating our lobby...........

I'm wondering if tomorrow my brain will block these incidents to allow me day #3 on time or if it will protect me and make me late to come in with the normal folk?

No comments:

Post a Comment