Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I was tough in the beginning...

I went to my second orthopedic surgeon today for the mass/cyst on my wrist.  It was not a fun experience from the start.  When my prior orthopedic surgeon's office called me with the appointment I confirmed on the phone that my appointment was for 7/14 @ 1pm.  I was in the car on my way to see my man, but I distinctly remember confirming the day and time.  Well, that following Tuesday I called to get the new doc's address and phone number and specifically confirmed the date and time of today's appointment.  Needless to say I was shocked when the CSR (clinical service representative) who finally called me to the window said I missed my appointment as it was scheduled for 11am.  WHAT?!  

Of course this happened after I signed in, waited 10 minutes and then proceeded to go up and advise I was a new patient and wondered if there was paperwork I needed to file out only to be told, "Yes.  We will call you up when we are ready for you to begin your paperwork."  I found this strange and rude, but whatever.  The blonde CSR apparently wasn't a fan and I'm sure once she found out I was over 2 hours late she became even less of a fan.

Once back in the exam room the nurse or medical assistant inquired as to the location of my x-rays.  I advised that my prior doc's office told me that I did not need them that her office would want to take their own.  She said that it was okay, but they would have used my prior x-rays.  Opps...strike #3!  

The new doctor came in, examined my wrist thoroughly.  Looked at the x-rays with me and then offered to aspirate the cyst as there is a 50/50 chance that this would take care of the problem.  I was totally down with this and originally wanted that all along over surgery.  If it doesn't work, okay...next step.  But if it does, holla~~no surgery baby.

Well, the aspiration was a little more intense then I expected.  I was tough at first.  The doc even confirmed that fact as he had the 23 gauge needle stuck in my wrist moving it around trying to aspirate the cyst.  Well, after a couple minutes of digging around and his inability to withdraw any fluid from my cyst he decided to puncture the "sac" to allow the fluid to drain from the sac in to my wrist.  When I started saying, "mother" the doctor concluded I was tough in the beginning, but that my toughness was fading.  He continued to jab around inside there and it continued to hurt.  Finally withdrawing that huge needle, the doctor started squeezing my cyst in hopes of getting some fluid to come out in the hold now in my wrist.  He then applied a pressure dressing to my wrist, told me to keep it on for a day or two, and then said he would see me next week.

Guess we will know then...my wrist was hurting, but after 800mgs of Motrin it felt a bit better.  I'm afraid it might be really sore tomorrow, so I will be taking more Motrin before I go to bed tonight, which is just minutes away!

Congrats AL for winning the all-star game & belated congrats to Prince Fielder for winning last night's all-star home run derby!  Also, congrats to my munchkin for batting 1000 tonight!  He hit all three times up tonight and was at least on base each time and scored once!  I stopped counting after 8, but know we won tonight!  Woo-hoo!!!  Way to go kids!  Especially M, who fouled twice tonight, and my munchkin~~baby, you rock!!

2 comments:

  1. That doesn't sound pleasant AT ALL. Tough girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't at the end...I won't lie! Of course IT guy is "praying" for me because he remembers how bad it was with his bone spurs. I found this statement when I left work today a bit disturbing.

    ReplyDelete