Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sharing Dessert & An Update on my Numbers

So after the zoo last night we were only about 15 mins away from my all time favorite Italian restaurant.  Since it is over an hour away from us, I do not get there very often.  But I did last night and it was as always, delicious!  I love Maggiano's!  

Of course by the time we got there and got a seat I was dehydrated.  I think I drank 10 glass of water.  I'm sure the waitress hated me since I only had water and she kept having to refill it.  Of course, if they had another diet to drink other than diet coke I would have had that too and she would have been able to cut her refills in half.  Oh well....

I had my veal parmesan and ordered the side of ziti with marinara sauce for the munchkin.  Then all three of us shared their wonderful, huge chocolate zuccotto cake.  OMG...that cake is so good.  Of course when my aunt said, "No one could eat their entire meal and this cake for dessert.  Their servings are huge and this cake, oh my goodness."  I sheepishly told her I've done it....of course I swallowed it down with about 4 or 5 cokes, so I'm sure that helped..  LOL  Actually, I took the cake home after eating my dinner the last time we were there and then proceeded to eat the cake when I got home.  

Maybe others don't get it, but I was proud of myself.  I only had a couple of small pieces of bread while waiting for our meals, ate half of my dinner and then shared the cake with 2 other people. I will admit that I gave munchkin the largest piece of the cake, because he knows how to stop eating when he is full regardless of what he is eating...my aunt and especially me...not so much!  We had dinner about 6pm and after we got home last night I still needed to take my metformin so I warmed up my left over veal and took my pill.  I took my blood sugar this morning, expecting it to be high because of the Italian food and the cake, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was only 183.  :)

Maybe there will be a slow reaction with the numbers either later today or tomorrow, but I feel proud of myself.  My numbers are getting lower and lower.  I like seeing them in the 100's more and more than the 300's!  Here are my updated numbers since my last report...

225--pm
302--am
169--pm
201--am
261--pm
254--am
152--pm
219--am
175--pm
187--am
195--pm
208--am
183--am

4 comments:

  1. You are doing better with the numbers! Aren't you also supposed to limit your carb intake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely!! Carbs become sugar and the more simple the carb the easier it becomes more sugar. Complex carbs are better if you are going to have a carb. That's why I didn't eat the pasta and gave that to the munchkin. I'm not a huge carb eater...I would rather have protein if I had to pick one over the other. That is why it was better for me to get a sirloin (2 ozs of beef less and one bun less) over a burger @ the Hard Rock last week. :)

    How is your mom's struggle going? Are carbs hard for her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is doing better. I think what is hard for her is that she has the other conditions that also affect what she can eat. I dont think carbs are as hard for her as sugar. She really misses candy and stuff. Mostly because she can't have it. Me? I am a carb freak! I try to eat more noncarbs but it is hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What other conditions is she having to deal with that are affecting what she can eat? Did she develop an allergy to wheat? That seems to be on the increase these days. I guess I find them both hard when I think about it. I actually had a carb meltdown last night, but I think I was exhausted and hungry, which is a bad combo...factor in the fact that we had nothing to make for dinner and the munchkin didn't want to go and get anything. C'est la vie! Of course what sucks is the fact that the sugar free things like the sugar free candy, pudding, etc. all have carbos in them, so it is like a double whammy. :(

    ReplyDelete