Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sharpening the axe

Rumors have been swirling all month...different dates, different numbers, different theories, but as each day went by the more and more it felt like some of the rumors must be true. The first rumor I heard was 500 layoffs in our company would happen by July 16th or 17th. That did not happen and those days went by. The following week was that between 400 and 600 layoffs would be announced within the next 2-3 weeks. That same week doors began to close, meetings were happening unannounced and then the confirming thing happened...a secret meeting occurred with some of the higher-ups. There were fake meetings in some of their calendars and it was held off-site...we all knew something was up!

Yesterday, two more rumors came up...the basis of them were the same, 'the layoffs were happening this week'. The only difference in these two rumors were the date of when it would happen. One said tomorrow, Wednesday, and the other said Friday. Well, today was it...322 employees were laid off in my company today and 7 of them from my department...

I am happy to report that I made it through, but I am sad to see so many friends and coworkers go...

Of course today the article I read this morning said that our city has the highest unemployment rate in the country, 17%. I wish everyone good luck...and hope they find their path quickly and are successful in their lives..

No comments:

Post a Comment