Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Beaver Family

So tonight was my final AIL~P class. We watched a movie "Pow-Wow Highway" and did some sharing afterwards. The class wrapped up with Prof. P giving each of us a gift as a "give-away" which is a part of the Native American Culture. She gave us each a Hershey's bar because the "warrior" in the movie offered up a Hershey's bar to the spirits. She also gave us each a postcard, which she picked up during a convention in Denver several weeks ago. When she came to each of us she went through the postcards left and picked one out for each one of us. She dedicated each one and wrote "Thank you for a wonderful term! Best wishes, Prof. P"

My postcard is of The Beaver Family. The description reads: Sampson, Frances Louise and Leah Beaver, a Blackfoot family, lived in a poplar grove along the Saskatchewan River in the Canadian Rockies. The photographer visited the family frequently; they became great friends. Note the family's attire, a combination of traditional and trade closing. Photographed in 1907 by Mary T.S. Schaffer. I will attempt to scan and post the picture on the postcard so you can see The Beaver Family. But no promises...

Okay...now for the ironic part. Growing up, my grandfather (Papa) would always tell me that we had Blackfoot in us, but I never shared that with anyone at school, especially Prof. P. It is a little strange that she picked this postcard! I couldn't say anything to Prof. P tonight because she was already emotional over our last class. I will have to share this information with her in my next email to her.

Thank you Prof. P!! Love to ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment