Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Saturday, August 29, 2009

RIP Sen. Kennedy

Days ago we learned of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's passing. We knew it was coming, but the morning it was announced as breaking news as I was getting ready for work I was shocked at how fast it had happened. Yes, he has had cancer and been battling it for 16 months, but I guess I expected some sort of pre-warning that "this" was it. Similar to what we were given just weeks ago when his sister, Eunice, passed.

I knew I wasn't going to be home this morning to watch the funeral coverage (yes, I am in to that) so I decided to set up TIVO to record it and watch it after I returned home. Of course it went longer than I recorded and I wasn't even able to see Pres. Obama's eulogy. Now I sit here and watch the graveside services and so many memories come back to me...the loss of my own grandparents (my Nana and my Papa) and what I feel is a loss of such a great generation.

Many years ago (okay, maybe 5) I wondered what would happen as we continue to lose the WWII generation. I do not know if it is the closeness I had with my grandparents and my loss of them, but I have always considered their generation as the greatest generation that ever lived. I feel that we...my generation...do not live up to the challenges that we have been given. I am often saddened, because I do not feel that we have continued to live up to their expectations. With this week's passing of Teddy Kennedy, it feels so much closer to me that one day we will wake up and realize what we have done and not done and what we have missed after it is too late...

And as I sat here listening to the 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps, with tears streaming down my checks, I pledge to you Nana and Papa that I will continue to live up to your expectations of me and hope that I can one day be as proud of my generation as I am of yours, because I am still in awe of yours.

Thank you, Sen. Kennedy for all you have done for us and for all that your family has gave and continues to give to us. You were and are still awe inspiring and one of my heros. RIP Sen. Kennedy...

No comments:

Post a Comment