Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cooking With Some Help From A Friend...

My friend Janice...you've probably seen her lurking around lately in the comment section...sent me a recipe that I tried out this weekend and I just had to share it with all of you. Both of us have a love for Mexican food, so I was totally down with this when she sent it to me. And as Janice implied...chicken, beans & cheese~~what else could one want in a meal?! :)

Let's get started...

Ingredients:
1 can refried beans
1 can chicken broth
1 can corn (not drained)
1 small jar of salsa
1 large can of chicken (who knew there was canned chicken out there...I sure didn't!)
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1 can northern beans (drained)

The recipe is originally a soup recipe, but Janice always cooks it down and makes it into a dip, so I decided to do the same thing. The original recipe says to put it all in a crock-pot and cook on high until the beans are pretty mashed up. (Janice cooks hers on the stove until the liquid is pretty well all boiled off.) The original recipe then says to turn the crock-pot on low and add 8 oz. velveeta cheese or 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

I decided I wanted to make mine in the crock-pot, but I wanted a dip instead of a soup. So I began with pour all of the ingredients into the crock pot (except the cheese)...


Then I mixed everything together.

I have one of those timers on my crock-pot so I set it to cook for 6 hours on high. After I had everything mixed together I put the cover on it and let the whole thing get nice and hot. Knowing the cover wasn't going to allow the liquid to cook-off after it was all hot (approximately 1.5-2 hours) I removed the cover, reset that original timer again to restart the 6 hours on high and left it to cook down...



This is where my plan went off course. Since I didn't even start this whole process until early afternoon yesterday I knew it wasn't going to be ready for dinner, but I figured I'd have some midnight munchies while slaving away with my homework. Well...I didn't plan on passing out while reading for Tax sometime after 7:30pm last night... Opps! But don't worry everyone because when I awoke at 4:30am this morning, my crock-pot was on warm, the dish was piping hot and the liquid was gone! The top was initially a little crusted looking, but as soon as I put my spoon in to see if my sleepiness had ruined an entire crock-pot of Chicken/Bean Dip it all came back to life! :)

And yes, for those curious...it did cook all night long without the top on the crock-pot; yes I woke up to the smell of Chicken/Cheese Dip all over my house~~needless to say I was extra hungry when I woke up; and no I do not worry about sleeping with a crock-pot going nor do I worry when I leave the house about leaving my crock-pot going...isn't that what they are made for?!?

So, at 4:30am this morning I sprinkled my cheese on it and waited for it to melt (I put the cover back on for that part...I was starving y'all!)...



After the cheese has melted it is ready to eat! Yummy!!



I put some on a plate and scarfed it down with some corn chips! It was very delicious!! Yummy!! :) At first I found it a little salty for my taste, but I'm crazy like that. I don't know why, but my taste buds can pick up salt in anything. So a little later when I had some more I added a little sour cream and some Catalina dressing...and I switched from the blue corn chips to the regular corn chips and it tasted perfect.

Since this is all I've snacked on all day (it reheats beautifully!) my man sad he was actually glad he wasn't sleeping next to me tonight! Toot~toot!!!!

Thanks Janice for the recipe! This is going to be a regular in j'lynn's world! I've already got plans to make it for the 4th of July!! hehehehe

Consider it done: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23
Just getting started: 9, 11, 22, 24, 25
Needs attention: 10, 12, 15, 16, 17

No comments:

Post a Comment