Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mother Nature Was Pissed Off On Hump Day!

Last night before I went to bed I sent an email to my laid-back Prof. from my seminar about changing the date when our rough draft was due for our S&L paper. When I got up this morning he moved the due date from this Friday to next Monday! I agree with him "laid-back Prof. is a nice guy!" Having accomplished that I was ready to face the day...and what a day it was...

At work I accomplished very little actual work. Apparently I've become a true slacker! But knowing all along that I would pull my crap together and get done what needs to be done by the end of this month I wasn't concerned at all, until later when my boss called to tell me that I may have to pick up my co-worker's slack and do double the amount of work I have to do by the end of the month...mine & hers! Um, yeah...so who is going to pick up my slack?! I guess that is going to be me too. So needless to say I will be busting my ass for the next week! Not even my own fault either...ugh!

Then early afternoon as I was getting ready to go and get my yummy salad for lunch I felt funny all of a sudden. I felt like the ground under me was moving. I wasn't sure if I was about to faint, if the office building was really moving or if my blood sugar had dropped too low and I was just feeling funny. Nope...it really was the ground moving. There was an earthquake of 5.5 magnitude and I had just experienced the tremors from it. In all of the previous news reports I always thought people acted a little too scared in earthquakes (not the big ones...I'm talking the little ones). Well, now that I felt little tiny tremors and almost went running out of my office and down 13 flights of stairs I will no longer judge others! That was some scary stuff.

Well, as my day was coming to a close at work I knew it was time to face my tax class, which I had avoided for 2 full weeks (thanks to my 2 skips last week and class being canceled this Monday due to the fireworks). There was anxiety for me. I hate returning to something that I've missed. There was also anxiety because I was completely caught up with my reading. I did a little prayer that I wouldn't get called on and then discovered I was about to be late for class so I ran off. During class I suffered for a full 3 hours and then decided I needed to approach Prof. Tax Guru with my assignment that was due 2 weeks ago this past Monday. After class I went up to Prof. Tax Guru and executed my plan of attack...

j'lynn: Prof. Tax Guru, here is my assignment that was due 2 weeks ago. I'm sorry it is late, but I was not in class last week due to a personal situation. I still wanted to turn it in even if I don't get credit for it.
Prof. Tax Guru: No, this is great. Thank you for turning it in. Don't worry that it is late.
j'lynn: Thanks!
fellow student #1: Is that the assignment that was due last week? I didn't know we were suppose to turn that in. Do you want mine?
fellow student #2: Are you talking about the questions you assigned? Can I turn mine in next week.

Looks like I started a trend! Ha!! I was glad class was over, I was glad that things went exactly as I hoped, I was glad that I wasn't called on. I was not glad that even though in the last week I went from being 490 pages behind in tax to 309 pages behind in tax I am now back to approximately 524 pages behind in tax. Are you kidding me?!? Ugh... I'm so never going to catch up! But in other tax news...Prof. Tax Guru is considering giving us a take-home exam. I'm totally down with that! :)

After class I drove home, charging my phone on the way (thanks for the reminder Daisy with your tweets!), because we were expecting some serious storms. When I parked in front of my house our weather sirens were going off. I walked into my house to find my munchkin freaking out, a tornado warning posted and my weather-alert radio going off! Within 10 minutes things started to pick up in the crazy department. I had the munchkin in my bed with my aunt trying to go to sleep when my bro called my aunt's cell (yes, I took the call for her. Ha!) to tell us that a tornado touched down about 30 miles from us and was headed straight for our town. Um, thanks bro! At that my phone started going off, the weather-alert radio started going off again, the outside sirens started up, the munchkin is crying, and I'm yelling at my aunt because I cannot find the GD remote! Bro is telling me what channels to put the TV on and telling me how he cannot get ahold of mom, so I'm using my cell to try and call her. I thought maybe a tornado would have been much calmer than all of this! We caught the weather report, got the candles and flashlight out. And then we started to wait...

The power went out once, the wind was crazy, the satellite was searching, the rain was pouring, the thunder was booming and the lightning was flashing. We survived it without any real damage that I could see. Reports of touch downs were confirmed. I'm definitely now ready for a crazy day tomorrow, but I'm really hoping that mother nature takes tomorrow off!

Consider it done: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Just getting started: 9, 10, 11, 24, 25
Needs attention: 15, 16

2 comments:

  1. Everyone is talking about this earthquake, but I didn't feel anything. Maybe because I was driving?

    The weather at night, however, THAT was scary! Even Jersey was a bit put off and stood practically ON the house to pee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani~~People who were walking up on our floor didn't feel it either. I think you had to be standing still or sitting down to feel it. It was scary...that whole day was scary mothernature wise. Yikes!! I stepped up in my recycling because of it! Ha!

    ReplyDelete