Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Monday, June 21, 2010

Treadmill Tricks vs. My Treadmill Question

This past weekend I received one of my weekly (or so) emails from nikki @ nikkifitness.com. This is what she had to say:

Sometimes summer is just to warm to workout outside, so instead of skipping it, sweat in the cold air inside on the treadmill! Too boring, you say? I have the antidode: action on the machine.


Minutes 13 (Warm up) Walk at 1.5 incline and speed of 3.5

Minutes 36 (Steady state) Jog at same incline at speed of 6.

Minutes 515 (Intervals!) Run one minute at 7.5 fast interval, one minute at 5.5 recovery interval. Repeat several times.

Minutes 1527 Toning forward works glutes and calves, backward works quads! Set uphill incline at 15 (as high as it goes) and speed at 3. Walk forward for 2 minutes.


If you are coordinated and feel strong enough to try this (I take no responsibility for tripping) LOWER speed to 2 and turn around while steadying yourself on the handles. Walk uphill backwards and pick your feet up high to avoid tripping. It will feel faster than the speed reads so I encourage starting at a low speed and increasing it only if you want more of a challenge). Do this for 2 minutes (or 100 steps, dont turn your neck around to look at treadmill clock, you could lose your balance.) Turn back around and repeat faster forward uphill walk and slower backwards uphill walk several times.


Minutes 2730 lower speed to 2.5 and cool down. Follow with a stretch of your calves, quads, hamstrings glutes and hip flexors (there is a free 5 minute stretch video at www .YouTube .com/ N i k k i F i t n ess).


Do this 30 minute multitasking machine workout twice a week


Okay...all I really want to know is which burns more calories and helps you lose more weight...an increased incline or an increased speed?! I can't do both! I need to concentrate on one thing at a time. And yes, I suck with usually only walking at a 2.8 on no incline. But I would like to start picking one up or the other or should I gradually increase one and then the other and do this back and forth until they are much higher? Does anyone know the answer to my age old question? Because I just don't see me keeping up with nikki's regiment there! LOL


Consider it done: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Just getting started: 9, 11, 24, 25

Needs attention: 10, 12, 15, 16, 17

5 comments:

  1. I don't know the answer. My doctor's theory is that it doesn't matter what you do, just do something. He says go for a two mile walk every day, park in the back of parking lots, take the stairs, play ball with the kids, just do something. I think he is correct but quite frankly, even that seems difficult some days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. personally on my elliptical i average 4.5-5 miles per hour which = 3 to 3.5 miles in 45 minutes. i work up a pretty good sweat, its considered a "light jogging" pace.

    then again ellipticals (or mine because its not electrical like those in the gym) use your own body weight and have no inclines or declines...

    sometimes on a weekend or if i want to watch 2 1 hr shows i'll go at a slower pace (2-3 mph) and hold hand weights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice~~I think you are correct...as long as it is movement. I think I'm going to try to do a little of both each time and increase them as I can! Thanks!

    Blaez~~Well, look at you go hot stuff!! LOL Okay...I'm still in the 2.5-3.0 range at an increase of 1.0! Maybe some day I will get to your level of workout! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm only considered hot stuff if i do it more than once a week!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete