Welcome to My World!!

My photo
From A Small Town, In The Midwest, United States
My favorite quote...We all live in hiding. In one way or another each of us conceal pieces of ourselves from the rest of the world. Some people hide because their lives depend on it. Others because they don't like being seen. And then there are those special cases, the ones who hide because they just want someone to care enough to look for them...Which one are you?

Friday, March 6, 2009

Past Bullies

I hated high school. Actually, strike that! I hated the people at my high school. I actually didn't mind high school itself. I sometimes wished I was a natural female Doogie Howser, MD. I really wanted to skip over high school and go straight to college, but that didn't happen. Sometimes I'm glad that I went through the torture of high school, but sometimes I'm not.

I, of course, was fat in high school too. Not as fat as I am now, but still obese. I had bad acne, bad teeth, bad hair...the list could go on for quite some time. However, I remember one particular incident that has never left my mind and all of it came rushing back tonight at Red Lobster! You know...where this one Catholic good-girl was not eating meat on a Friday! ;) I got there early to reserve a table for us~me, the munchkin & the aunt.

I walk in and the hostess is one of the girls I went to high school with. It has been a long time when I've had to interact with someone from high school. I probably seemed out of it to her because I was shocked to see her still there. I knew about 8 years ago she was working there, but I never would have thought she still would be. BTW, she is not in management, so Red Lobster must not have a "work your way up" program as she remains a hostess/server. Needless to say...we didn't communicate outside of me giving her my name and request for our table. (Which she did screw up....but whatev!)

After I was seated I saw him...one of my bullies. :( This short little fucker was a tormentor of mine. (Sorry, I use those descriptors in the most loving way!) I remember when my best friend and I went to Burger King for dinner one night after some school function. Him and his buddies, who all stood at least a foot above him, were sitting up eating. This BK was a bi-level, so we were on the bottom area and they were on the top. All of a sudden he threw an inverted fry box down at us. I self-internalized the message, which read "You need to call 1-800-321-THIN" which was the 800-# for Nutrasystem. I ignored the box as his aim was off since he was short and pretended like I never saw it.

I've thought about that box and its message and that short little fucker a lot in the past 16 years. I will never forgive him for that, I will never let him know I saw it, thought of it, or anything like that. But most of all...I will always remember that someday I may be thin and his ass will always be short!!!!

I, as usual, didn't acknowledge I knew either of these people and never spoke to them. He was there with his daughter, who must be about 4 or 5, and other Dads & Daughters who were all attending a daddy-daughter dance. I'm happy to report his 4 year old is of average height along with her fellow peers and she is a little over half as tall as him. I did smile to myself and when she wasn't listening to him as they were leaving I commented to my aunt, "How can he expect her to listen to him when she will be taller than him in about six months?!" ;)

Of course the fact that all of these daddies and daughters were going to this "Daddy Daughter Dance" made me wonder...what happens if you are a daughter and you don't have a daddy, for whatever reason? Is this really fair to them? I'm not saying punish the ones who do have a daddy, but why can't we call it a "Parent/Child dance?" Or a "Daddy-Like Daughter Dance"... I just think we are placing a heavy burden on that poor little girl who doesn't have a daddy in her life right now, because not always at the age of 4/5 do you understand why you don't have a daddy and others due...

No comments:

Post a Comment